Monday, October 4, 2010

East Coast Trip Part Eight: Jersey Shore

Ah, finally...the Jersey Shore post. Sadly, we have very few pictures from this part of the trip...well pictures worth posting anyway. For some reason, Phil thought it was a good idea to take about 100 pictures of me in my bikini and zero pictures of me on the boardwalk, eating pizza, at the bar, or doing anything besides looking pale and bloated from the previous 10 days of eating and drinking my way up and down the East Coast. So I really have to rely on my own memory of this last weekend of our trip.

So we rolled in to Point Pleasant (the more family friendly Jersey Shore town about 20 minutes North of Seaside Heights, where the show is filmed) around 6 pm Friday night and got checked in to our motel, which cost a pretty penny but was right on the beach and was actually quite nice. The room smelled slightly of smoke but apparently you just can't avoid that at the shore. At least it was clean and the bathroom actually seemed recently remodeled! And the air conditioner worked amazingly well, so who can complain?

We headed down the boardwalk to meet Phil's friends for a drink. His high school buddies, Sean and Steve, and their girlfriends, Lacey and Lisa, were also staying at the shore that weekend. After a drink (or two), we headed back to the motel so the girls could get ready to go out and we could do a little pre-funking (for my non generation y readers, that means drinking alcohol purchased at a liquor store at the hotel to avoid paying so much for it at the bars). We played some cards and then headed back down the boardwalk to a low-key bar that had tables right out on the beach and was the perfect venue for a new drinking game I believe Lacey taught us. I don't remember the name of the game, or the rules...and not because I was drunk, just because it was 3 months ago. It was quite fun though :) After the bar, we got the first of many slices of the best pizza I've ever had in my life. Sigh...I miss that pizza. Then we headed back to the motel to rest up for Saturday.

On Saturday, we enjoyed the beach (the motel had a private area of beach roped off so that was nice...not as much riff raff). The waves were giant though, due to some questionable weather (just my luck) and there were rip tides, so I only waded in just a bit. The waves were seriously huge...like, taller than me. For lunch, we headed down the board walk and I tried ice cream and waffles...three scoops of ice cream in between to freshly made waffles. So delicious! And then I watched the boys try to win football jersey from a claw machine. They actually did pretty well and won three or four. Shortly after that, Phil drove me down to Seaside to see what it was all about. During the day its actually pretty quiet, but there is still a lot of good people watching there.

Saturday night we got all fancy, did more pre-funking, then headed to a more clubby kind of bar on the board walk. It was really hoppin, and by hoppin I mean annoyingly crowded with fist pumping guidos and just what you'd expect to see on the Jersey Shore if you've ever watched the show. It is exactly like the show. Fights on the board walk...guys primping in front of the mirrors longer than the girls..."cougars" trying to find a man...Ed Hardy t-shirts...tattoos...sunglasses worn inside the bar...scandalous dresses and every guy looking like he had a busy day of GTL (gym, tan, laundry). It was fun for about twenty minutes and then I got really fed up of being pushed and shoved by the crowd and we decided to leave. We got some yummy boardwalk snacks (some kind of doughnut holes if I recall...whatever their italian name is) and sat on the beach outside the bar so we could still people watch. It was a great night :)

Sunday morning, we headed to the beach one last time to enjoy the sun. Phil snapped a few decent pictures and then it was time to say goodbye to the gang. We got one last slice of pizza (soooo good) and then headed back home to Densville.



That night, we went to Phil's family's favorite new Chinese restaurant in the city, where the owners treat Sonny like a king because he always gets so much food when they go in. It was quite tasty and was a great way to cap off a wonderful vacation. Though I was so full after dinner I could barely walk, we headed down to Rockefellar Park (west of Ground Zero) so we could attempt to walk off dinner and the guys could smoke a cigar (check out the Three Stooges below).


And that was our trip! We headed back home to Seattle on Monday where I promptly began dieting ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment