Monday, May 2, 2011

Snowshoeing at Paradise

Yesterday we took advantage of the beautiful weather and went snowshoeing at Paradise, Mt. Rainier. We went last year too, but I forgot what a great work out it is! My heart was thumping 3 minutes into it, I kid you not. But I eventually found a rhythm and with frequent mini-breaks to eat snow (aka nature's candy) and Phil's encouragement, we made it up the steep steep hill (see third pic below) to Panorama Point where we had a picnic and napped in the sun.




steep steep hill

view from Panorama Point


Mt. Hood...or Mt. Adams, I don't know which comes first

Mt. St. Helens



me and my ice fetish

have you ever enjoyed such a view while eating pb&J?

Mt. Rainier...looks like a hop and skip to the summit eh?


You would think the climb up the steep steep hill would be the scary part, but its the slide down (or scooch down if you're a chicken like me) that is terrifying.




Nevertheless, we made it back down alive and with only very minor injuries (blisters from boots and hiking poles, sunburned lips, noses, and pretty much every inch of Phil that was exposed because his skin must soak in more UV than mine). Next year we'll remember to reapply the sunblock every hour on the hour. The altitude and sun-reflecting snow is a killer!

All in all, it was a beautiful day trip and it felt so nice to get outside and do something other than run for a change :)

No comments:

Post a Comment